Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Worst Day

Today started like no other training day, got up, prepared myself for an 80-100K ride with my friend Krista, Christine and Geoff.  

I met the gang at Bragg Creek and from there we road east on 22X towards 37th (we were going to tackle Road to Nepal). The first 35K was wonderful, no issues with my back and was down on my aero bars for most of the 34K and I was rocking my nutrition (today it was working for me).

We stopped on the corner of 37th Street for a little rest, and then it happened - I did not see who was at fault but I saw this...

I had just stopped at the corner when we heard a loud bang.  

We looked up to see the biker thrown into the air, the van swerved and the biker hit the ground. 
 
Strangers rushed to help.

The biker was crumpled and not responsive. I was surprised at how calm everyone around the biker was, including myself. We just all did what we had to do.

Three of us called 911.

My friend (Christine) was at the bikers side along with another man who were stabilizing the bikers head.  

Someone yelled, "ambulance is on their way, they said don't move him".

Christine yelled for blankets in case the biker went into shock. I ran across the road to the guy selling cherries, he gave me two coats. I ran back to Christine who covered the biker.

A nurse/paramedic came to the bikers aid (I think she was a biker).


Some people were at the side of the road, a young woman on the phone to 911 who was shaking (I hugged her to calm her down). Another young woman, the passenger of the van who hit the biker, was crying and said "we did not see the biker, he just came out of nowhere". I asked her to go back to her van and clam down and ensure the driver stayed calm as well (as calm and they could get).

Christine asked if someone could go to the corner of 22X and 37th and flag the ambulance down...it's hard to run in bike shoes but off I went. The fire truck was first to arrive and I waved them down. the ambulance was right behind them.

At this point I walked over to the van where the driver and passenger were sitting, the driver was shaking... and I mean shaking. I felt so bad for her, she kept saying that she did not see him, he just came out of nowhere. We talked, I hugged her, she calmed down.

A police man came to the van - "do you need a paramedic" he asked. I left her.

It seemed like forever....then the biker was on a stretcher.

They put him in an ambulance.

STARS was called they were there very quickly.

Again, it seemed like forever, they were getting the biker ready for the trip...

FINALLY they were off to the Foothills Hospital!

We waited till everything cleared up, we were all upset. We choose to ride home. 
 
I don't know how the biker is but I pray he is fine.

Please be safe when riding 22X or any other busy road and ensure you pay attention.

No comments: